Monday, February 1, 2010

Allergic to Something

So we found out last week that our little Kaylie-girl is allergic to something...the question is WHAT??  We were at a baby shower last week when I noticed Kaylie was breaking out in hives and red rashes all over her body.  





We were told by a nurse to give her Benadryl, and keep an eye on her throughout the night until we could see our doctor the next morning.  


When we woke up the next morning, Kaylie's eye and ears were red and completely swollen.  Our poor little girl looked like this:


So sad!  Our doctor thinks that it might have been the amoxicillin that caused the reaction.  (Kaylie was diagnosed with another ear infection 2 weeks ago, and had been on the drug for about a week when the outbreak happened.)  I am allergic to penicillin, so it would make sense, but it's weird that she was taking amoxicillin for over a week before this happened.  I'm nervous that maybe she is allergic to something else too, maybe some type of food allergy.  I guess time will tell.  She is finally better...no more swelling and all the rashes are gone.  But it was scary!  I am so glad she is feeling better now.

5 comments:

redheidi said...

such a sad puffy face :( i hope she's feeling better now ;)

Jake, Cindy and Blaine said...

That is sooooo sad! My poor Kaylie girl! Glad to hear she is doing better. Give her hugs and kisses for us *Cindy

Sarah said...

Those are still the worst pictures!! Poor thing.

:) said...

Poor girl! That would scare the crap out of me to see her eye swollen like that! I hate allergies. Georgia just had a bad allergy to something that we can't pin point. Her throat actually started swelling up~ thank heavens for Benadryl huh? SHe is a cutie pie!

Prior Family said...

It could have been the amoxicillin. You have to be exposed to things before you have an allergic reaction to them. It's always so sad. Jake got bit by a spider and his eye looked alot like Kaylie's.